Sunday, May 01, 2005

The Tooth Fairy (Graham Joyce)

posted by Tim Walters @ 10:36 AM

Holy crap, this is good.

I love the way that humor and horror are thoroughly mixed, with only the occasional pure moment of either to serve as highlight or shadow.

I love the way that haunting is portrayed as a relationship as complex and ambiguous as any other.

I love the relentless avoidance of cliches, especially at the ending.

I love the characters, setting, and prose.

In short: holy crap, this is good--an instant addition to my must-read list. Thanks, Todd! What's the best of his books to get next?

1 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Todd T said...

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it. I was chuffed with the same aspects as you.

Next one, eh? Well, here's where I must confess that I have bought his other books at all good speed, but haven't read them at the same clip. Perhaps THE LIMITS OF ENCHANTMENT, or SMOKING POPPY? I like DARK SISTER too, and you can see why in another post, but the author of that one (his first, I think) is not yet quite as masterful as that of TF. While I like everything I've read, I can't point to an obvious cousin to TOOTH FAIRY. Different books, different strengths. At least, as far as I've read so far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home